Thursday, November 6, 2008

It’s All About Me

The core of sin can be summed up in one little phrase: It’s all about me.

Lying boils down to the desire to get what I want or keep myself out of trouble. Stealing comes from the notion that what I want is more important than the fact that it doesn’t belong to me. Sexual sin is all about what makes me feel good. The first sin happened because they wanted something – to be like God – and the pattern has continued ever since.

Sin reigned until one finally came along who didn’t say “it’s all about me” but “Father, glorify your name.” Now through the blood of Christ, the Spirit gives us the power to do the same.

Unfortunately, it’s a power we sometimes forget we have, and it’s one we have to choose to use, but growing in Christ requires learning to do just that. The cross requires that we die daily to ourselves, to the idea that it’s all about me.

God, help us. And glorify your name.

2 comments:

Spherical said...

I think that there is another way that sin can be summed up, "It's not about God." And I don't mean what we think God ought to want or do, but when we just don't let Him reign as He chooses to reign.

Great post!

Nancy said...

Gen 4:6-7 NIV

6 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast?

7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."

The word used for (sin) here can also be translated (lack/loss).

When we wrongly perceive that God has not provided adequately for us...or forget that God makes a way when there seems to be no way...(As with Abraham & Sarah)...We fall prey to the the "I'll get/do it myself, syndrome"...and with the "getting" comes many sorrows.