Friday, February 26, 2010

A Surprising Scripture on Suffering

Being a Christian doesn't mean you won't suffer in life. In fact, you probably will. The Bible doesn't tell us how to avoid suffering, but it does tell us how to respond to it.

And its message is sometimes surprising:

"'Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.' But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord" (1Pet 3:14b-15a).

"Set apart Christ as Lord." There's a lot packed into that simple statement. The most important thing for the one who's suffering is realize how much is meant by "Lord."

Jesus is my owner, my master, my teacher, my lawgiver. But more importantly, Jesus is God.

"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together" (Col 1:16-17).

Our King not only made the world but rules it. It turns because He wills it. The sun shines by His command. Nothing happens without His permission.

And when we suffer, when we struggle, when we feel like life is using us as its punching bag, we can know that Jesus is Lord and is aware of our plight. He will use it "for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28), which is that we should be like Him.

And He cares; He has promised, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" (Heb 13:5). "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matt 28:20).

---------
Related:
All for Good
Can You Handle It?

5 comments:

Nancy said...

1 Peter 5:10 (New Living Translation)

10 In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.

When we see this played our in our lives...over and over, and over again, our faith becomes unshakable as we begin to get the picture...

"... He cares; He has promised, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" (Heb 13:5). "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matt 28:20)."

Jon said...

I liked your post, but I would like to add a caveat your statement that "the Bible doesn't tell us how to avoid suffering." In 1 Co 7:20-21, Paul states,

"Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you—although if you can gain your freedom, do so."

I think there is an important principle here, and it deals with the distinction between avoidable and unavoidable suffering. We are to respond to suffering in the ways you mention, but in the case above, Paul does discuss how to avoid suffering--manumission, in this case.

I think the upshot is, biblically speaking, if you're in a position in which you must endure suffering for righteousness' sake, then endure it in a godly manner, but if it's a situation in which you are enduring suffering and for which there is a viable way out, then take it!

Regards,
Jon

ChrisB said...

"if you're in a position in which you must endure suffering for righteousness' sake, then endure it in a godly manner, but if it's a situation in which you are enduring suffering and for which there is a viable way out, then take it!"

Thanks for pointing that out. Wouldn't argue with that for a second.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.