Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Can you handle it?

You’ve heard it: “God won’t give you more than you can handle.”

I’ve never actually seen this in the Bible. Probably because it’s not there. I figure this most likely began as a misinterpretation or misquoting of 1 Cor 10:13 – “And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.”

The truth is that God will give you more than you can handle. Consider the words of Paul:

“We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead” (2 Cor 1:8-10).

What they experienced was “far beyond” what they could handle. But did you catch the end? This happened so that they would rely on God.

That is the secret: God will give you more than you can handle; He will not give you more than He can handle.

I think this way is better. We are not tempted beyond what we can bear, yet we still sin. We fail to do what is within our ability so many times. That’s why I’m glad God doesn’t leave it up to me to get through the trials of life – I’d probably screw that up too. As long as it’s in His hands, though, I have hope. You see “we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son…” (Rom 8:28-29).

That’s God’s goal, and I know His plans will be accomplished. To me, that’s far better than giving me something I can “handle.”

1 comment:

Danny Wright said...

Good point. I've heard that before, normally spouted by someone who is doing fine to someone who is not. I don't think it comes from a misinterpretation of scripture though, I'm pretty sure it came from Oprah.