Sunday, July 1, 2007

Be careful what you wish for


This is Virginia and Hannah – the most precious jewels in all creation, in case you were wondering. Virginia’s the older one.

When she was younger I often wished Virginia could tell us what she wanted to eat. What I didn't expect was that, once she reached that age, what she would always say is “corndog.” “But they don't have corndogs here.” “CORNDOG!!”(Who knew you could whine that loud?)

Sometimes we don't really want what we think we want. Thankfully, God has no problem telling us no. We mustn't misunderstand Jesus' words – faith is necessary, but it isn't all-sufficient. God is not a genie, and His wisdom and sovereign plan are supreme. Which is a good thing; as the theologian Garth Brooks sang, “Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers.”

(And I’m trying to enjoy Hannah’s inability to talk back at this stage.)

1 comment:

Danny Wright said...

I take it that these are your children. Beautiful.