Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Daddy's Here

Who else would He be?

The first time I heard Psalm 46:10, I was less than impressed: "Be still, and know that I am God." Isn't that kind of obvious? I definitely didn't get the importance of that statement.

Now that I have kids, I think I have a better picture of what's going on. When one of my children has a nightmare or is scared by thunder or gets hurt, I gather her up in my arms and say, "Shhh, Daddy's here." She knows two things: She knows who Daddy is, and she knows he's here. She's safe now.

Psalm 46 starts "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." It describes the earth giving way, the mountains falling into the sea, the nations in uproar, and then says, "Be still, and know that I am God." When the world was going crazy around them, when they were in fear of their lives, He told them, "You know who I am. I'm here, and I am in control." If we can add some emphasis to the verse: "Be still, and know that I am God."

When the world is going crazy around us, whether we're in fear of our lives or just our sanity, when we most want to, we still don't get to see our Father in heaven, but He's here, and He loves us. His words to us are the same as they were back then: "The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress."

Daddy's here.

No comments: