Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What's Wrong with This Maxim?

UPDATED

Let's do something a little different. A coworker posted this cute little saying on her wall:
It is the value of what we do that creates the energy, passion, and enthusiasm to do it well.
I don't quite agree with that. What do you think is theologically wrong with it?

After a little while, I'll post what I think the trouble is.

UPDATE: OK, here are my thoughts on the thing:

I, and so this coworker, work in healthcare, and this was intended as a little pick me up to remind us that we do something incredibly valuable. I understand that.

But this coworker is also a believer, and I thought it was necessary to point out that it doesn't matter if you're a doctor or lawyer, teacher or cabinet maker, cook or painter, all believers should ideally have the same "energy, passion, and enthusiam."

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." Our energy should come from the God we serve and our passion should be to glorify Him in whatever we do. We may do that imperfectly, but that should be our goal.

(And if I'm making too much out of it, you can tell me that:)

2 comments:

Annette said...

it's the faith that we have that gives us the passion for th e things that we do.

Danny Wright said...

Two words that I find suspect: value and create.

Value: Does this mean that I should not change my children's diapers well? On the other hand, what is the eternal value of closing the million dollar deal?

Create: This implies that I can do something that creates something else in me. I'm not sure that's true.

How about this? God gives us the strength to do his will.

This is my overly critical analysis, other than that I don't see what is theologically wrong with this saying. I will add however that anytime I see the word "energy" which is normally code for new-age, I am suspicious.

I like this post, it makes me think. I'll be thinking about it today as a matter of fact. I'll be looking forward to the answer.