Friday, July 27, 2007

Dancing with Cinderella

I recently heard Steven Curtis Chapman perform a song off his next album during a radio interview. The chorus says:

So I dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone
(find full lyrics plus video here)

It's one of those parental tear jerkers, and I was barely maintaining my composure.

Then my not quite four-year-old piped up from the back seat, "Daddy, I'm Cinderella."

Composure gone. As much as I don't like tear jerkers, it's never a bad idea to be reminded that our kids are going to grow up way too fast.

That said, these days it's all too common to find people who've made their kids their idol. Life is not meant to be about our kids. As Christians, we should know what life is about, but in the midst of trying to know Christ and make Him known, we occasionally have to remind ourselves that the most important place to make Christ known is at home. If you lead a million people to Christ and fail to do the same with your kids, I don't think that's a life well lived. Do you?

No comments: