Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Don't Judge Self-Righteously

buried under boxes
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Matt 7:1-2). 

Meet this era’s favorite Bible verse. Of course, they misunderstand and misuse it.

“Do not judge” is the only command in the Bible they believe to be absolute. Do not judge, no ifs ands or buts. Jesus does say that, but he says it in context, and we have to consider everything he says on the matter.

“For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” This is the real meat of what Jesus says. You will be judged by your own standards. Do you hate liars? You’d better not lie. Do you look down on adulterers? You’d better be squeaky clean, even in your thoughts (cf, Matt 5:28). Do you judge the intolerant? Then you must be the most tolerant person on earth.

Paul picks this idea up in Romans. “You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things” (2:1).

Like so much of the Sermon on the Mount, this passage shows us just how deep our wickedness goes. All men stand condemned before God because we do not even live up to our own standards, much less his. The only safe thing to do is to never judge. But no one does that; everyone judges.

So never, ever judge? Jesus doesn’t say that.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? ... You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye” (Matt 7:3-5).

You will be judged by the standards you use, so clean your act up before you point out your brother’s sin. Don’t tell me my house is dirty when yours is a mess. Don’t tell me my kids are undisciplined while yours are running amok. Deal with your own sin, then point out mine.

But you can and should point out mine:

“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.” (Matt 18:15-17).

There is a time to deal with sinners. Once you’ve cleaned your house (meaning no unconfessed, unrepented sin), you should help me clean mine. Point out my sin. If I don’t listen, get someone else involved, even the whole church. If I am still unrepentant? Do not associate with me. Paul gives us an example of this in 1Cor 5. This tough love is meant to bring me to repentance (2Cor 7:8-9).

If you love me, you’ll call out my sin. We have to help people deal with the things that separate them from God. This isn’t cruel; it’s life-giving. Saved sinners still need to repent — and to be reminded that there is forgiveness with Christ Jesus.

Now incline me to repent!
Let me now my fall lament!
Now my foul revolt deplore!
Weep, believe, and sin no more.

There for me the Savior stands,
shows His wounds and spreads His hands:
God is love! I know, I feel;
Jesus weeps, but loves me still!1


1 “Depth of Mercy” by Charles Wesley


Image via Pexels

Part of Christianity 102

No comments: