Monday, April 27, 2009

4 U LORD

I saw a license plate the other day that read “4 U LORD.” It was on a Jaguar.

I have trouble believing that Jaguar was really bought for Jesus.

A similar sight: You may have seen the bumper stickers that say, “Don’t let the car fool you, my treasure is in heaven.” Though I occasionally see this (as a joke, I presume) on a junker, it’s usually on a pretty nice car. I want to ask, “If your treasure’s in heaven, with what did you buy that car?”

I’m not going to pretend I don’t have my luxuries. Moreover, I spend a lot on convenience (e.g., pre-chopped veggies, paper plates). And I’m trying to figure out how much of that is appropriate.

How much can I spend on books in a world where many Christians don’t even have a Bible? How many toys can I give my girls when so many children need medicine? Can I justify paying extra for pre-chopped vegetables when millions would crawl a mile for any vegetable?

At the end of Schindler’s List, there is a scene where Schindler comes face-to-face with the realization that he could have done more. He rescued hundreds, but he’s haunted by the fact that he could have saved more.



At the end of our days, will we do the same? Most of us won’t have the rescued hundreds to console us. Will we go into the next world wondering how much more we could have done?

------
Related:
A Christian in a Lexus and Other Perplexing Thoughts
Are You Discerning in Your Generosity?
Government, Charity, and Jesus

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Maybe...they can belong to Jaguars for Jesus, because they are frugal and eat tuna straight from the can....I'm sure they don't leave the water running while they brush their teeth...If you do...stop that! No telling how much more you could be giving!

What ever you DO...the enemy will always let you know it just isn't enough...We can be content in whatever state we are in when we give cheerfully from our heart...If you haven't met that goal yet...give up the chopped veggies and the paper plates...but be aware that someone will always be watching to see if you make the grade!

ChrisB said...

"We can be content in whatever state we are in when we give cheerfully from our heart"

Yeah, but it's a lot easier to give cheerfully when you're not giving very much.

"the enemy will always let you know it just isn't enough"

Sometimes it's the accuser. Sometimes it's the convicter.

I appreciate where you're coming from, I really do. But we also have to be aware of the tendency for self-justification. I think we usually let ourselves off too easily. At least I do.

Nancy said...

When one Sunday you actually hear the Holy Spirit say, "Give all that is in your purse..." And, you dutifully obey...and the next Sunday the thought comes..."Maybe, I'll just leave my purse in the car..." You know you have issues...*; )

(Yes..it's a true story!)