Sunday, March 22, 2009

Christian Book Expo 09

It's been busy busy at work lately complete with lots of overtime, so when I read the Christian Book Expo was coming to Dallas, I says to myself, "Self, you deserve a day in book nerd paradise."

expo banner
Of course, sending me into a book fair is like sending a junkie into a crack house, but I was actually remarkably restrained (because I'm also cheap).

I only went on Friday, but it was still good. Yes I wanted to go on Saturday, but my girls are too young to enjoy it, and I didn't want to spend the whole day away from them.

I went to the "What is the Gospel?" panel with Darrel Bock (moderator), Tullian Tchividjian, Justin Taylor, Mark Roberts, and Richard Stearns. (Ok, I was late, but I sat through some of it.)

panel photo
Stearns gets credit for the most convicting statement of the panel. He said most of the Church is desperately poor while some of the Church (implied, us) is desperately rich. And then he said when he goes overseas poor Christian ask him about us, "Don't they know about us?"

The only other "session" I went to was Ron Rhodes on "10 Keys to Witnessing to the Cults." The "keys" were useful, but so were some of his other insights such as that cultists suffer form guilt, fear, and disillusionment and that it takes great patience to have a conversation with a cultist.

10th key
His final key was a good takeaway message: You may not be an expert in theology, but you are an expert in what Jesus has done for you.

Though they had lots of great speakers lined up, the exhibit floor is obviously the star of the show. Besides row upon row of book tables, they had some neat displays. My favorite was the Bible History Experience.

It displayed pages from many historic Bible translations. Bible display

Among those was a handwritten OT scroll from around 1400 AD.
scroll

scroll closeup
They also had a printing press.
press

Another neat place to visit was the Bible Across America exhibit that has people contributing to a hand written NIV Bible.
bus
I wrote out Hosea 4:14.

If you get a chance to go to one, I recommend it. They even had a table to entertain Vinny and Dobson :)
ICR table

No comments: