Sunday, May 13, 2007

Everything I need to know, I learned from the Gospel

It told me I was a sinner in need of a savior.
-All have sinned ...
-There is none righteous...
-While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

It tells me I am still a sinner in need of a savior.
-If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

It tells me God will be with me through my sin.
-He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
-For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son...
-Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

It tells me how to deal with sinners.
-Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

It tells me how to live.
-As I loved you, so you must love one another.
-I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

It tells me how to grieve.
-Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. ...We believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

It tells me there is hope.
-For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
-He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him.

It tells me how it will end.
-In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.


(The preceding was inspired by John Piper via Tony Reinke)

No comments: